Survey: What Japanese ingredients can you get where you live?
(The survey is now closed. Thank you to everyone who responded - your comments were and are truly useful to my project!)
In connection with a project I'm working on at the moment, I'd like to take a short 5-question survey of Just Bento and Just Hungry readers.
I assume you are here because you have at least some interest in Japanese food and cooking. My questions are as follows.
1. How easy is it for you to get Japanese ingredients without having to resort to extraordinary measures?
By 'extraordinary', I mean things like:
- Ordering food by mail order. I know ordering 'gourmet' or special food by mail is not quite extraordinary, but in my mind ordering everyday food items by mail is a bit much.
- Asking friends or family to send/bring stuff from Japan.
- Going way out of your way, or traveling a long distance, to get to stores that carry Japanese foodstuffs.
2. Can you get Japanese ingredients locally, and if so, where?
Regular (non-Asian) supermarket? Asian market? Health food/natural food store? Somewhere else?
3. What kinds of things can you get easily and locally?
For instance, where I am now (southern France) I've seen that things like soy sauce, nori, sushi rice, rice vinegar etc. are available at regular supermarkets. Fresh fish is a problem, though I did find a small fishmonger that has really fresh fish. What can you (and do you) get easily locally?
4. Does the unavailability of ingredients that are mentioned in Japanese cookbooks or websites deter you from trying a recipe?
5. Where do you live?
Please tell me your location (city/country - I don't need your exact address ^_^), so I can get a good idea of what is available where and so on.
So, to repeat, here are the five questions:
- How easy is it for you to get Japanese ingredients without having to resort to extraordinary measures?
- Can you get Japanese ingredients locally, and if so, where?
- What kinds of Japanese ingredients can you get easily and locally?
- Does the unavailability of ingredients that are mentioned in Japanese cookbooks or websites deter you from trying a recipe?
- Where are you located?
Thank you so much! Your answers will be very helpful to me.